House 10 = South, and by convention South = 18000

Why is this different in PD?

Harry Uitermark.

ABer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Azimuth
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 07:20:13 PM »
Hi Harry - thanks for using the forum. The strict astronomical definition of azimuth is "the bearing of an object measured as an angle round the horizon eastwards starting from north as the zero point." Mitton, The Penguin Dictionary of Astronomy. Your point is well made. In the script Horoscope-Extra-Local Horizon Horoscope you will see the convention is adopted. This measurement is latitude dependent, so a southern hemisphere horoscope should show 0 degrees for the MC, as far as I know.

I wonder if Jean could have a switch to allow people to choose either definition. Some astrologers are rather wedded to the idea that azimuth is measured from the south point of the horizon. I'm not really sure why.

Best wishes. Ed

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 07:25:14 AM »
If you look at horoscope - extra - compass you see a choice between north / south which i added after a lot of protest from people. It seems half the astrologers are used to the south and the other to the north approach. It's not difficult to add such a switch to horoscope - data, however i wonder if a global option would be better, i'll give it some thought.
Greetings from Groningen Netherlands <)))><.`.><(((>

ABer

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 07:30:10 AM »
Hi Jean - I think a global switch would be the best option. It's a bit weird that 50% of astrologers think azimuth should be measured from the south point of the horizon but I guess their choice should be respected. Thanks. Ed

Jean

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2020, 05:14:36 PM »
August 15
+ Added Options - Extra - General - Azimuth South to North.
Greetings from Groningen Netherlands <)))><.`.><(((>